Friday, September 30, 2011

[FREE] Fictional Short Story part 1

It all started at 4 PM.
I blankly stood there.
Motionless.
I felt cornered by them, but there was absolutely nothing that I could do. I wanted everything to just go back to how they were about two hours ago. Two hours ago when I was happy and laughing. Two hours ago when I felt... normal.

Now I feel like an outcast marooned on a deserted island with only three intimidating emotions as company: anger, insecurity, and fear. Under the heat of the sun, I could feel my face beginning to burn with the anger, feel my heart drop with the insecurity, and feel my conscience shrink with fear. It feels so unfair to have to show no emotion to these people before me, but I manage what I can.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know about the note," I say, feeling more alone than ever.

"It doesn't matter anymore. Going forward, you may only consult with us," one of them responds.

"Ok." I reply. I can't even begin to describe how I feel at this exact moment, but I fight against my heart to show no emotions.

"You know your injury is not our fault," the second says, looking at my mangled arm. "If you knew what to do, you should have told us what you needed."

"It's fine," I say, fully knowing the extent of my problem is completely because of them.

"All we are trying to say is that we are acting for the well-being of everyone," says the third.

"I know"

"Alright. Also, your actions can influence other people. You should act more respectfully to be a better role model," the first said.

"Fine. May I be excused now?" I ask, still pushing away the feelings of anguish.

"Yes. I suppose that will be all for now..." they say.

And as I walk away, I allow my feelings to take over me and I can feel the heat of their glares.

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Whoa! Who are the owners of these menacing voices?

    This is a very creepy start. So far I'm imagining some dystopian scene where the protagonist is stuck in some sort of oppressive situation under strict authority...

    And what's up with the arm? How did it get messed up? I trust I will discover more soon... :)

    Way to start a story--dive right into a scene without bothering too much on the exposition, and give lotsa dialogue. Well played!

    ReplyDelete